, ,

Moroccan Lanterns Quilt

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 4.52.35 PM
moroccanlanterns

My newest pattern is here! Yay!

Moroccan Lanterns was inspired by a Turkish rug that I saw online. As soon as I saw that rug, I thought, “That looks like a quilt.” Then I thought, “That needs to BE a quilt!” And now it is. : )

No paper-piecing on this one, you guys! Just regular ol’ piecing, with a quarter-inch seam and everything. I did my version in lots of bright, vibrant jewel tones. Most of the prints are from Allison Glass’s Sun Print collection, although I did throw in a few oddball prints here and there.

Once again, the stunning quilting was done by Stephanie from Late Night Quilter. Once again, Steph did it up. All I had to do was tell her the name of the quilt, and from there she came up with a perfect, Moroccan-inspired design that I loved! Everyone—and I do mean everyone—who stopped by my booth at Quilt Market a few weeks ago had to ask who did my quilting! Thank you, Stephanie! : )

And as always, I’m celebrating the release of my new pattern by putting it on sale! Now through Sunday, you can buy the PDF pattern for just $4.99! (ETA: This sale is now over.) Click here to purchase it from my pattern shop, or here to purchase from Craftsy.

1. Nini
    Nini says:

Wow! Love this pattern, it's beautiful. We were in Morocco a few months ago, this reminds me so much of various places we were. Thanks!

2. Nini
    Nini says:

I attempted to buy the pattern, PayPal couldn't process the payment. Any chance there is any other way to pay? Email is Vicenza 74 at g mail dot com Thanks much

3. Camille Mendel
    Camille Mendel says:

I love this quilt and purchased it some time ago. A friend commissioned me to make it for her so I'm working on fabric selection. She wants to use purples/creams/grey. I love the contrast that you achieved with the jewel tones and am worried about achieving that same impact with such a limited color palette. Any advice for me?

4. Jody Castillo
    Jody Castillo says:

I would really like to purchase this pattern. What is the size of this quilt? Is it possible to make it larger because I like to make queen size quilts. Thank you!

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Jody! The finished quilt is 64″ x 80″. It would be possible to make it larger by adding more rows, but not the easiest thing in the world – it would require quite a bit of quilt math! Another option would be to make it as shown, then add more background fabric around the sides so that the 64″ x 80″ pieced area is centered on the bed when the quilt is finished. I hope that helps!

• Lee Heinrich

That would be standard width quilting fabric, which is 40″ wide … but the width-of-fabric strips are further cut down either in the next step or after strip-piecing, and I always make sure to leave a little left over when doing that additional cutting, so you should be fine with a little less than 40″ if need be! Thanks for the question.

5. Faye
    Faye says:

Has anyone had problems while making this? I’ve followed the instructions exactly, and seem to be short several blocks? I laid everything out last night, and went through and recounted every piece that was cut, and I match the directions exactly…I’m confused how this could have happened. Glad I bought extra fabric…

• Lee Heinrich

Sorry you’re having trouble! The pattern has been tested thoroughly, and I haven’t heard from anyone else who has had this problem. In fact, the Pattern Drop subscription service is offering Moroccan Lanterns as one of its upcoming patterns of the month, so they made a sample of it, and had no issues with the sample. Are you sure you counted you correctly?