WIP Wednesday: Last One?

IMG_8324-2

Okay you guys. Let’s have a little truth this Wednesday morning.

My truth is: I’m burned out on WIP Wednesday. I’ve been doing this link-up week in and week out for five years now (gasp, where has the time gone??). And while I’ve loved having the link-up and it really put my blog (and business) on the map, in the last year or so I’ve felt like I’ve been phoning it in a bit. There was a time when my Wednesday deadline helped my stay on track to have something to post, but for whatever reason, it’s just not motivating me anymore. Instead, lately it hangs over my head like a mid-week anvil over Wile E. Coyote. LOL.

Still, it’s a scary thing to say, “I’m done with this.” As I said, it’s been a huge part of my life for more than five years now. Without it, will my blog traffic drop off? Will I lose pattern sales? Will I lose sponsors? Will my motivation drop even further? Am I crazy to walk away from the single most popular feature on my blog?

So here’s my decision (at least for now): I am temporarily suspending WIP Wednesday after this week. I’m going to take two months off and see how things go. What I’m hoping is that not having WIP Wednesday to worry about will actually free me up to do more quality blog posts. I can post about what I want, when I’m ready to, instead of always posting these short, ineffective mid-week check-ins. So, no, I’m not going anywhere! There will continue to be content here on the blog (potentially even more content), so I hope you won’t go anywhere either! I’m also hoping this will allow me to post more frequently on Instagram, now that I don’t have to “save” progress photos for Wednesdays. LOL. So be sure to follow me on IG to supplement what you see here.

When the two months are up, if not having WIP Wednesday has been a success for me and I’m feeling good about my blog and my blogging habits without it, then I think I will be done with it permanently. But I selfishly want to see how I feel about not having this in my life anymore before I make a final decision. I hope you all will bear with me while I do that. I hope to have a final decision in early April about whether WIP Wednesday will be back on this blog.

Okay, whew. I’m glad we had this talk. : ) In closing, let me just say that I am so grateful to every one of you who has ever linked up, or clicked on any of the links in order to discover new blogs and projects—you have made WIP Wednesday what it is. And let’s all have one more amazing Wednesday link-up before the hiatus begins! Just for fun, I’m going to leave this WIP Wednesday link-up open for a whole week, so you’ll have plenty of time to add yours! Show us what you’re working on by linking up below, and have a wonderful week!

(P.S. The photos in this post are my Scrappy Picnic Plaid pattern from Stephanie Palmer’s Quilter’s Planner. Full post on this quilt coming tomorrow!!)

LINK-UP RULES:
1. Link up any blog post or Instagram photo from the past week that features an unfinished work-in-progress (WIP).
2. To link an Instagram photo, click the “Add Your Link” button below, then click on the Instagram icon at the bottom of the screen that pops up. You should then be able to select any of your recent Instagram photos. Where it says “Link,” use the URL of your Instagram feed (for example, my URL is www.instagram.com/freshlypieced). Please hashtag your IG post #wipwednesday.
3. If you are linking to a blog post, please link back here to my blog somewhere in your post.

4. Comment on at least a few of the other WIP Wednesday links, either IG or blog—commenting on the two or three links directly before yours works well to make sure everyone gets comments!

« Older Comments
  1. Karin Jordan
    Karin Jordan says:

Hi! I've recently taken a few months off a few things that I'd been doing for a while (and enjoying) but that had started feeling like Anvils. I made the decision so that I could free up mental/creative space to enable me to go in new directions and follow new ideas and it's been the best thing I've done in a long time. Plus, you can always revisit it if you feel you miss it, or do it once a month instead of once a week! I look forward to seeing what you're up to sans anvil. 🙂

2. Anne / Springleaf Studios
    Anne / Springleaf Studios says:

I want to offer a great big Thank You for hosting this awesome linky party. It's the first one I ever participated in and have always enjoyed seeing the other links. I completely understand your burn out though. Wish you best as you try new things on the blog front. Hope WIP Wed doesn't end but totally understand if it does. There is a time for everything.

3. Julie
    Julie says:

I will be sad to see this stop – this is the only linky I participate in regularly. Sometimes though, you just have to do what is right for you, and not worry about other people, this is one of those times. All the best.

4. greeneggs
    greeneggs says:

Anything that enhances your enjoyment is good, anything that feels like a burden has to go, or at least be considered. I'll be reading your wonderful blog regardless.

I've discontinued a few things on my blog that were repetitive in nature, so I totally understand this desire. It becomes less spontaneous, more of a slog, when you HAVE to do a blog post. You are to applauded for continuing on for FIVE years (impressive) and also to be applauded if you decide it's time to go, and then you do let go. There are lots of different opportunities that have arisen for you in the past five years, and it's been fun to watch you embrace the new (plus it was fun to meet you at Quiltcon). I look forward to the new directions you take (if you decide that's what you want to do).
    Elizabeth

6. quiltmusings
    quiltmusings says:

Sorry to hear that you are ending WIP Wednesday, though I can understand. Five years is quite impressive! Just want to say I have really enjoyed being able to participate in them, and look forward to seeing what the extra freedom brings on your blog.

7. Beatrice
    Beatrice says:

Hello, I, too, understand where you are coming from and would like to thank you for enabling us to discover and share so much via this linky.
    I'll keep checking your blog, but no pressure!
    Enjoy your new-found "me" time!

8. Alison Wood
    Alison Wood says:

Hi Lee, I don't think I can add much to what everyone else has said, but I did want to thank you for hosting this great link-up for so long. I have only known about it for a year or so but it has provided a wonderful spur to get on with a project and write a blogpost just so as not to miss the chance to link-up. I know, however, only too well, how some weeks aren't so easy on the domestic or work front and how it must be a real pressure always to have a post ready. As a linkee I can just decide not to post if it is all getting too much, but you don't have that option. Respect your decision, though i will miss WIP Weds. Now I need to learn how to use Instagram…

9. Melanie
    Melanie says:

Hey Lee, not much more to add…

Your WIP Wednesday is the linkup I met my new sewing friends on, it helped me stay or better: start a sewing routing. I am not linking up every Wednesday but it is always in my mind and I love clicking through the inspiration. Even when I don't link up. I loved leaving comments and some encouragement and of course I loved recieving them. Short, I will be sorry to see it gone but surely I will pop my nonetheless.

Loved the proposed ideas: Passing it along, sharing it… If you really decide on that track, feel free to contact me – not sure if I am up to the task… but too sad to see it totally gone.

Another idea: The linkup is such a social habit. Can't you do it without leaving your own project? You could post as you want and just still provide us with the platform that made the WIP Wednesday so succesful.

Love Melanie

10. EmileeHope
    EmileeHope says:

I would really miss WIP Wednesday, but I get it! I don't know how people find the time to blog at all-I am lucky to get an iPhone pic on IG each week! I have loved all the other blogs and IG accounts I have found thru this. Maybe you could do one a month instead of every week, or take turns hosting with other bloggers? I hope your break gives you clarity! Thanks for hosting as long as you have!

11. a maidenhair fern
    a maidenhair fern says:

Thank you Lee, for pushing the rest of us as we rushed to get our projects in progress so we could post. It has been a great accomplishment for you. I hope someone else will pick up this linky party, because it's a great way to share. LOVE YOUR QUILT!!!

12. Tina in Boston
    Tina in Boston says:

Hi Lee! So sorry to see WIP Wednesday go but I do understand the time and effort that goes into blogging regularly. It was great of you to be our host for all this time. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future!!

« Older Comments