Stitch Fix – You Need It!

img_9161

img_9161

I used to love shopping for clothes. As a teenager, all I ever wanted for Christmas was a gift card to the Limited. When I got my first “real” paycheck, my big treat to myself was a velvet blazer (don’t judge, it was the ’90s!) Then I got older and became a stay-at-home-mom. I didn’t know what to wear anymore or where to buy it. Typically I’d walk into Loft, scoop up a bunch of boring t-shirts, and call it a day. And then go pick my kids up from school and see at least 3 other moms wearing the same t-shirts I just bought.

So last year, in the interest of breaking out of my style rut, I decided to try Stitch Fix. And you guys! I love it! (No, Stitch Fix did not pay me to say this. This is a 100% unsolicited opinion.) If you’re not familiar with Stitch Fix, here’s how it works: They send you five clothing items in your size, budget, and preferred style. You keep as many of the items as you like, or return them at no cost. Shipping both ways is free. There is a $20 fee to send your “fix”, but that $20 is applied to the cost of anything you keep. You can schedule your “fixes” whenever you want (once a month, once a quarter, whatever).

After doing Stitch Fix for over a year now, at this point, almost everything I wear is from Stitch Fix! I’ve kept a lot of things I would not have tried on if I had only seen them on the hangar at the store, so they’ve definitely expanded my horizons. Plus, they’ve sent me unique items I’ve never seen on anybody else in my ‘hood, and I never have to go to the mall anymore. Winning. : )

So anyway, want to take a peek at my September fix? If you’re considering Stitch Fix, this is a great example of what you can expect.

img_9135

(Clothes model I ain’t, but my 10-year-old daughter did enjoy being the photographer for this fashion shoot.)

Item #1 – Evella Boatneck Top from Market & Spruce – Keeping it

Item #2 – SeaVees Monterey Lace-Up Sneakers – Keeping them

I love me some horizontal stripes. Probably shouldn’t, but I do. And these sneakers are perfection. I’ve been wanting a pair like these for a while, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. So basically, my Stitch Fix stylist read my mind. (The skinny jeans are from a previous Stitch Fix shipment.)

img_9118

Item #3 – Aldama Scoop-Neck Blouse by Le Lis – Keeping it

Was skeptical about this top when I pulled it out of the box, but I like the pin-dot pattern and decided it was cute on me. It’s paired with the same skinny jeans as the first photo.

img_9148

(Full disclosure: There was dog poop on the ground right next to me in this picture. I’m mostly just trying not to step in it. Makes for a great modeling pose, right?)

Item #4 – Evie Draw String Funnel Neck Sweatshirt by Loveappella – Keeping it

Oh yes, I could see myself living in this one. Paired with a boyfriend jean from a previous Fix.

img_9104

Item #5 – Maura Zip Pocket Skirt by Le Lis – Would have returned this, but keeping it for discount

This was the only item in this month’s Fix that I didn’t think I was keeping, simply because I don’t often wear skirts, especially in the winter. But one of the great things about Stitch Fix is that if you keep all five items, you get a 25% discount on all five. Which in this case meant that I actually paid $18 less by keeping this skirt than I would have if I had returned it. Okay then, in my closet you go! Paired with a J. Crew top and Target sandals.

Of course Stitch Fix doesn’t always knock it out of the park – last month I only kept one item. One of the selections I sent back was a pair of purple pumps. Purple pumps, you guys. That’s, uh, not me. I laughed all the way to the mailbox with my return package. But they nail it more often than not. And when you are returning, it literally could not be easier. You throw everything into a giant pre-labeled envelope and put it in a mailbox. That’s it. As someone who frequently doesn’t get around to returning things to the store for months, I appreciate that. : )

Want to try Stitch Fix for yourself? Click here to give it a shot!

1. Melissa
    Melissa says:

I received the Evie Draw String Hoodie too this month! Oh my gosh! It’s the best thing ever, I am going to live in it all weekend! LOL Love the red/pink sweater you got too!

2. Kristi
    Kristi says:

I’m completely in the same boat with you on Stitch Fix. In fact, I received the same striped shirt and love it! I’ve gone hot and cold on my fixes. Some of mine are great, but not always. Now I get one quarterly but always look forward to my Stitch Fix day. You never know what you’re going to get. I love that they have shoes now too.

3. Vicki Roberts
    Vicki Roberts says:

I know you’re not a spokesman, but I have been getting Stitch Fix emails since I liked them on facebook. My question is, for the $20, if I don’t keep anything and ship it all back, do I still owe the $20? What is the average cost of a box? Your selections look exactly like what I would be picking.

Thanks for the info–I have been nervous about starting, as I was afraid it was a scam.

• Lee Heinrich

Hi Vicki! Yes, unfortunately if you don’t like anything in the box they do keep the $20. But in over a year of doing it, I’ve always gotten at least one thing I wanted to keep (though I admit that $20 is a good motivator to find something worth keeping!)

4. Tracy
    Tracy says:

You are the first person who has managed to make me even consider giving SF a try ~ so congratulations 🙂 The clothes are all great and I think the skirt looks really nice on you (and I would think the print is right up your alley 😉

5. Tish
    Tish says:

It’s funny, I just scheduled my first fix in several months off from SFing like five minutes before I opened Bloglovin and read your post. I absolutely hate shopping and I love that SF will send me wonderful things I can try on at home. Looks like this was a pretty awesome fix. I will be keeping my fingers crossed I’m as lucky next Saturday 🙂

6. Kelly@ My Quilt Infatuation
    Kelly@ My Quilt Infatuation says:

I have really debated about giving SF a try. I have a couple of friends that use it and love it just as much. I didn’t realize that you could schedule less often than once a month. Now that I know I can do it less often, I think I’m definitely going to give it a try!

ps- you have some amazing pieces there!

🙂 Kelly

7. Angela Nash
    Angela Nash says:

Cute! I actually love that skirt. And those jeans look perfect – I have several friends that have tried it, and they swear by the jeans. Best ever fit, which is kind of miraculous. I think I’m going to get started on filling out my profile.

8. Colleen
    Colleen says:

I don’t think SF would be something I’m interested in but it’s interesting to read what works for others. You look great in all your outfits. IMO the Aldama Scoop-Neck Blouse by Le Lis is a colour you should wear more often – out of all the outfits the colour of this blouse really compliments your complexion/hair ect.

9. Kathi Riemer
    Kathi Riemer says:

My daughter belongs to the club and if she doesn’t want something, she lets me have a look before she sends it back. She raves about Stitch Fix. I’ve been tempted to join but haven’t taken the time. It’s fun to get interesting things in the mail.

10. Keri Davidson
    Keri Davidson says:

Lee, I’m right there with you. I was reluctant to try it – since I have a really tough time finding clothes myself, how could someone who’s never even seen me choose my clothes? Oh, how wrong I was!! The first box, EVERYTHING fit! How do they do it? I don’t care, I just love it. It’s not always perfect, and I haven’t yet had a box where I kept everything, but it’s great fun anticipating what will come this time! And with each box, they get better :). One additional benefit – because they help you with styling suggestions, I’ve learned how to work better with the clothes I already own as well. Now I have more time for quilting!
    For those who don’t want to be on a monthly schedule, there is an option to just schedule the fixes individually rather than an automatic shipment.

11. Holly
    Holly says:

This is the BEST post ever, Lee!!! Unfortunately I’m not in the US, otherwise I’m sure I would love Stitch Fix, mostly because I hate shopping and I’m happy for others to put together outfits for me! And I love the skirt too, and the red Aldama scoop neck blouse! They look great on you!

12. Pat S
    Pat S says:

I’m in a much older group than you and a bit concerned that the clothing will be too young for me but I decided to give it a try. It’s really hard for me to shop in stores so if it works, so much the better.